domingo, 12 de setembro de 2010

Ireland

As you all know, I'll soon be in two countries I've always wanted to visit. Ireland and Scotland.
Sure, I' won'tbe there long enough, but hei, it's better than nothing AND I'm sure I'll want to go back!

So, because I'm starting to feel the travel rush, I've decided to share a little bit about these two countries. 
Let's start with Ireland.

I've decided not to bug you with historical facts and all this because, honestly, you can check everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) on Wikipedia or Ireland main sites. So, here go some curiosities about this great nothern country:

1. The Ukrainian sailor Iván Beshoff founded the famous “fish and chips shop” in Dublin in 1922. Now this restaurant is the most famous in Dublin.

2. The Irish alphabet has only 18 letters. There is no j, k, q, v, w, x, y and z.

3. It is estimated that the Irish diaspora has 80 milions people around the world.

4. Ten Irish people have been awarded with the Nobel prize: Williams Butler Yeats (literature), George Bernard Shaw (literature), Samuel Beckett (literature), Seamus Heaney (literature),  Sean McBride (Peace), Mairead Corrigan and Betty Williams (peace), John Hume and David Trimble (peace), Ernest Thomas Sinton Walton (physics).

 5. Samuel Beckett wrote the shortest play of the world. It takes 30 seconds.

 6. The harp you can see in passports and in the Republic of Ireland stamps is an Harp of the XIV century, and it is kept in the Trinity College of Dublin. It is also known as the Brian Boru Harp.

 7. Ireland has 5600km of coast, 14000km of rivers, 200000 Hectares of lakes and about 200 kinds of different fishes.

 8. Ireland is known as the “Emerald Island” or 'Emerald Isle'

AHH! Don't you feel even more educated now?
So, not to budge you even more, here you have a clip from Ireland's Tourism office, so you can see how pretty it looks.


 

Eventually, I'll post details about our trip. Until then, I'm going to pretend to work a little bit more.


Claudia

1 comentários:

M disse...

And the pubs? I've heard that they are magnificent. You must tell us when you return how they are. I'm jealous of you ... I always wanted to go to Ireland, as I told you before. Appears to be a beautiful country. Good luck and have fun, dear.

Enviar um comentário

 

Sample text

Sample Text